Wednesday, April 23, 2014

George and Vickie visit Ferne Clyffe State Park

On April 13, 2014 my lovely friend, Vickie, and I decided we were going on a trip.  We piled in the car and traveled to Ferne Clyffe State Park.  We stopped and took a picture at the sign because it is spelled in a very weird way!  I learned that Ferne Clyffe is an Illinois State Park sitting on 2,430 acres in Johnson County.  There are so many beautiful things to look at!  There are many ferns which you may have guessed from the name!  There are also rock formations to look at and climb on.  There's even a 100 foot tall intermittent waterfall.  Some activities that are common at this park are camping, picnicking, hunting, and fishing.  Vickie and I mostly stuck to the many hiking trails.  We found out that George Rogers Clark passed through or near Ferne Clyffe on their trip to Fort Kaskaskia in 1778.  One hundred years later, the Cherokee reportedly used the area as their hunting range while on their Trail of Tears march.  We had a good time!  I was so exhausted I had to go home and take a nap!

Miles Traveled: 32 miles
Latitude: 37.5
Longitude: 88.9

No comments:

Post a Comment