Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Teddy and Sarah visit Giant City State Park!

On April 29th 2014, I traveled to Giant City State Park with Sarah! We left the Wham building on the SIU campus and traveled to explore the beauty within Giant City. We spent the afternoon walking Hiking Trial 1. Giant City was named a state part in 1927 when Illinois acquired more than 1,100 acres of land in Union and Jackson counties. As we walked the trial, we saw many different types of animals. I especially liked the squirrels. I really wanted to chase them, but Sarah told me I couldn't do that! I was so disappointed.  We also climbed a huge rock! We later learned that these huge rocks were formed of sandstone that have been shaped by many many years of weathering and geological faulting. We also saw many plants beginning to bloom and grow! There was a ton of moss that grew over the larger rocks that surrounded the trial we walked through.




When we finished out hike, I was exhausted! Sarah took a picture of me all sprawled out on the ground! I was so tired from all the hills and rocks that we climbed! After we caught our breath, Sarah and I ate a snack that we packed before we left! Our snack consisted of apples and a granola bar! As we were eating our snack, we discovered that settlers who first moved into this area cultivated fruit trees! How cool would it be to have your own fruit tree! After we finished our snack, it was starting to get dark, so we decided it was time to go home. I had a really great time visiting Giant City State Park. I want to go back again and explore the four other trails that they have to offer. I also want to go rock climbing and horseback riding! I can't wait for my next visit to Giant City State Park!

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/r5/gc.htm

Coordinates 37.6050* N, 89.1883* W
Miles Traveled 12.1
Total Miles Traveled: 6073.83

No comments:

Post a Comment